This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

SAM-e is Awesome!

I've been taking SAM-e vitamin supplements for about 3 months now. It's the *ONLY* vitamin supplement or drug I've tried that's had a noticeable beneficial effect.

SAM-e can be purchased in 200 mg or 400 mg pills. The "recommended" dose is 400mg-1600mg per day. According to the instructions, you should take the pill on an empty stomach, either 30 minutes before eating or 1-2 hours after eating. This isn't an absolute requirement, but the sources I've read says your body metabolizes it better if you eat it on an empty stomach.

SAM-e is an amino acid. It's a precursor to dopamine and other neurotransmitters. In other words, it's one of the natural building blocks your body uses to make brain proteins.

According to the sources I've read, your body should be able to make that amino acid itself. Also, it should be present in many foods. However, maybe my body has a problem making that amino acid. Perhaps, this amino acid is missing from processed food.

Taking 200 mg per day, I noticed a beneficial effect from SAM-e. When I increased from 200 mg per day to 400 mg per day, I noticed a further benefit. I increased from 400 mg per day to 800 mg per day with only a slight improvement. Recently, I started taking 400 mg immediately before bedtime. This dramatically improved the quality of my sleep.

I propose the following experiment. Pick a random sample of people labeled with a mental illness. Give 1/3 of them SAM-e (800 mg per day), 1/3 of them a placebo, and 1/3 of them their current drugs. Give them puzzles to solve, to measure their thinking ability. My prediction is that the SAM-e takers will dramatically outperform the others.

Also, the same experiment should be performed on a sample of people *NOT PREVIOUSLY DIAGNOSED WITH A MENTAL ILLNESS*. Give 1/3 of them SAM-e, 1/3 a placebo, and 1/3 a damaging anti-psychotic drug like Abilify (30 mg per day). I predict the SAM-e takers and placebo takers will *DRAMATICALLY* outperform the Abilify takers.

Unfortunately, I don't have a license from the State to perform this experiment. Further, a researcher with a State license would have a hard time getting State funding for this experiment. State funding of research stifles research. I doubt that someone will perform this experiment correctly. The drug industry does *NOT* want it to be proven that their drugs are harmful compared to a placebo.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.